Are you experiencing a basement moisture problem? Many homeowners would prefer to ignore the problem entirely. They think that dealing with basement moisture problems is just too expensive and resource intensive. However, that leak in the basement has far reaching effects.
Basement moisture affects more than the physical structure of our homes. It also affects our health. If you want to protect your health and that of your loved ones, it is important to deal with your moisture problem as soon as you become aware of it. You’ll otherwise have to deal with the following:
If you thought cleaning your bathroom with anti-bacterial products was enough to keep bacteria away, you’re wrong. Your damp basement is only going to make the situation in your home worse. Moisture creates the perfect environment in which bacteria can breed and thrive. All the cleaning in the world won’t keep the bacteria in your damp basement down. Colonies are likely to form on different surfaces including floorboards and wall boards in a damp and humid environment.
Dust mites are notorious for causing allergies, respiratory problems as well as worsening asthma symptoms. They can cause stuffy or runny noses, itchy eyes and other allergic reactions. They can make your home an uncomfortable place to live.
Many people believe that dust mites thrive in dry and dusty environments. The truth is that they do well in hot and humid environments. A basement with more than 50% humidity will create a great environment in which dust mites can breed and thrive. Your home will therefore become dust mite infested.
Do you fancy living in a house overrun by disease carrying critters? No. Then you need to do something about that damp basement as soon as possible. Pests such as cockroaches and rats thrive in damp and dark environments. Your damp basement offers the perfect environment for these creatures to breed. Increased levels of allergens from these animals can exacerbate existing conditions such as asthma. The creatures can also cause contamination of food and water through their feces.
It’s public knowledge that mold can cause serious health problems. Mold is linked to the development of various respiratory problems. Mold can also make conditions such as asthma worse. Toxic black mold has also been shown to have fatal effects.
Mold thrives in damp environments. The growth of mold is often a sign of a moisture problem.
Take care of your health and that of your household by ensuring that you address your moisture problem.